International Long Term Ecological Research (ILTER) Open Science Meeting (OSM)
Save the date: 9-13 October 2016
The first ILTER OSM will take place in the Kruger National Park in South Africa from Sunday, 9 October to Thursday, 13 October 2016. The conference will be hosted by the National Research Foundation, (NRF), the Department of Science and Tecnology (DST) and the South African Environmental Observation Network (SAEON).
For the scientific framework of the conference see the first announcement:
The OSM themes are:
· Nitrogen impacts on ecosystems structures and functioning.
· Carbon and water cycles under climate change.
· Towards sustainable usage of ecosystem services (local, regional & global).
· Drivers of biodiversity across scales.
· Data integration and interoperability enabling global scale ecosystem research and linking with environmental monitoring.
· Linking local, regional and global Earth system observations and models.
In addition, there will be a call for contribution to emerging issues and challenges for ecosystem research.
In addition there will be half a day dedicated to relations with major relevant global observation networks and infrastructures. 2-day fieldtrips to South African ecosystem research sites will be offered to a limited number of participants before the conference.
The OSM specifically addresses
· LTER researchers and scientific site coordinators (PIs).
· LTER stakeholders and partners
· The participation of early career scholars and postgraduate researchers is encouraged.
The ILTER OSM will include a full range of academic sessions, plenary lectures, social events and field trips within the Kruger National Park.
Tentative time line: A call for papers and sessions will be issued in January 2016. The deadline for receipt of proposals will be in late March/early April. A draft programme will be published in May.
If you are interested in attending the ILTER OSM, please mark your calendar. More detailed information will be available in the next circulars and on the ILTER website (http://www.ilternet.edu/).
Furthermore, you are encouraged to distribute this circular among other potential participants.
Anyone can sign up for the ILTER OSM Information mailing list.
· Send a message to email@example.com
· type in the subject line: “subscribe ILTER_OSM_INFO [GivenName] [Name]”
· leave the message body blank
We gratefully acknowledge the generous support of NRF and DST.
Michael Mirtl (Environment Agency Austria, OSM Organising Committee & ILTER chair)
Hideaki Shibata (Hokkaido University, OSM Scientific Committee chair)
Johan Pauw (SAEON, Local OSM Committee), supported by WarmWinds of Africa Destination Management (Pty) Ltd.